Jerez de la frontera, like lots of nearby cities (Sanlucar de Barrameda, Sevilla) and villages (Vejer, Arcos, Ronda …) deeply remain celebrating their traditions, here is what you can expect every year :
- October/November The wine of the year is celebrated with different way. For instance in Sanlucar de Barrameda, it is called “La ruta del Mosto” and during this month every individual open his house to drink the wine of the year (Mosto) with home made tapas. There are not official restaurants so by December everything is closed.
- February/March undoubtably the festival of Flamenco of Jerez will attract your attention. It last two weeks officially but with an important off program before and after. Two things you need to know, Flamenco is a generic word that cover many style totally different : Alegria, Bulleria, Sevillana, Fandango … If you are not already specialist, leave at home all preconceived ideas about flamenco. During the festival you will meet all the celebrities that flamenco count in the word, they will spend some days or a week giving courses and change of continent right after. You will see as well many local people on stage in bars…
- April/May FERIA, this is the main local event of the village that is composed of ephemera wooden structure (Caseta) bar and restaurant on a dedicated area in the city / village. Each caseta has its own flavour so try the most you can !
- What to expect : Horses events, dancing, singing, drinking, eating during a week from the afternoon to the morning. In Jerez, it is amazing !
- Don’t expect an agenda with scheduled events during seven day. Everything happen everywhere, live music in each Caseta, waiters stoping their work for singing, … Just spend some time from one caseta to another. From one calle to another
- In Sevilla almost all the Casetas (bar and restaurant) are private so you need a pass to access (too much success in the past few years), so inevitably you will see that people are having a good time but you will have to stay outside. Not very nice !
And for horse lovers : http://www.jerez.es/especiales/feria/el_caballo/pruebas_hipicas/
- June/ September everybody at the beach, but as well …
29th of June : Andrés de Jerez “Arañando el alma” : https://www.deflamenco.com/agenda-flamenco/andres-de-jerez-aranando-el-alma
3 to 6 of july : RUTA y ESTUDIO DEL CANTE POR “LOS CAMINOS DE LA SIGUIRIYA
7th of July : II Festival Flamenco “Jerez, Gran Reserva” – Honores a Pansequito : https://www.deflamenco.com/agenda-flamenco/ii-festival-flamenco-jerez-gran-reserva-honores-a-pansequito
13th of July : XXXIV Encuentros Flamencos en la Peña Juanito Villar 2018 : https://www.deflamenco.com/agenda-flamenco/xxxiv-encuentros-flamencos-en-la-pena-juanito-villar-2018
14th of July in Conil : I Festival Flamenco Atún Rojo de ALMADRABA : https://www.deflamenco.com/agenda-flamenco/i-festival-flamenco-atun-rojo-de-almadraba
17th to 22nd of July : V Encuentro Internacional de Guitarra Paco de Lucia : https://www.deflamenco.com/agenda-flamenco/v-encuentro-internacional-de-guitarra-paco-de-lucia
18th to 22nd of July : Festival international de la guitarra flamenca : http://laguaridadelangel.es
20 / 21st of July : I Festival Internacional de la Guitarra Flamenca de Jerez : https://www.deflamenco.com/agenda-flamenco/i-festival-internacional-de-la-guitarra-flamenca-de-jerez
21st of July to end of August : Flamenco in San Fernando : V Festival “La Isla, ciudad flamenca” 2018
31st of July to 5th of August : Flamenco Patrimonio. Teatro Romano de Baelo Claudia : https://www.deflamenco.com/agenda-flamenco/flamenco-patrimonio-teatro-romano-de-baelo-claudia
20 to 25th of August : Fiesta de la Buleria – 2018 : https://www.deflamenco.com/agenda-flamenco/fiesta-de-la-buleria-2018
Every Friday during July and August, several flamenco events take place in Jerez : los Viernes Flamencos y Las Noches de Bohemia de Jerez : https://www.deflamenco.com/agenda-flamenco/viernes-flamenco-de-jerez-2018-fundador
ans as well : https://loscaminosdelcante.com/2018/05/19/presentados-los-viernes-flamencos-y-las-noches-de-bohemia-de-jerez-2018/
And much more informations and events :
All the year around flamenco events : https://www.guiaflama.com/flamenco-en-cadiz/
as well https://www.deflamenco.com/conciertos-flamenco-en-jerez-cadiz.html